This is one of my favorite ways to use leftovers. I had a fridge full that I thought I might have to throw out - steak, baked potatoes, corn, carrots, peas ... then I realized I had the makings for this:
2 cups diced, cooked meat (chicken, beef or pork)
1/2 cup cooked peas
1/2 cup cooked, diced carrots
1/2 cup cooked, diced potatoes
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
1-1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme (I omit this one)
- Combine cooked meat and veggies. Set aside
- Sauté onion in margarine until clear. Whisk in flour.
- Whisk in milk and broth - slowly. Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Pour over meat and veggie mixture. Stir.
- If preparing for freezer, cool completely.
- Line pie plate with pie crust, pour in filling. Top with crust, crimp edges.
- Bake at 375F for 1 hour.