Saturday, May 15, 2010

Left-Over Pot Pie

Have leftover steak, chicken, stewing beef or roast? Toss it into a pie!

This is one of my favorite ways to use leftovers. I had a fridge full that I thought I might have to throw out - steak, baked potatoes, corn, carrots, peas ... then I realized I had the makings for this:

Hmm. It's not very photogenic, but it sure tastes GREAT!

2 cups        diced, cooked meat (chicken, beef or pork)
1/2 cup       cooked peas
1/2 cup       cooked, diced carrots
1/2 cup       cooked, diced potatoes
1/4 cup       margarine or butter
1/4 cup       chopped onion
1/4 cup       flour
1-1/2 cup    chicken broth
1/2 cup       milk
1/4 tsp        salt
1/4 tsp        pepper
1 tsp           thyme (I omit this one)
       pie crust

  • Combine cooked meat and veggies. Set aside
  • Sauté onion in margarine until clear. Whisk in flour.
  • Whisk in milk and broth - slowly. Bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
  • Pour over meat and veggie mixture. Stir. 
  • If preparing for freezer, cool completely.
  • Line pie plate with pie crust, pour in filling. Top with crust, crimp edges.
  • Bake at 375F for 1 hour.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!