Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How to Find it Half Price or Less All The Time!

I can't stand paying retail. For many things it's unnecessary. ... for many things it's necessary - you know, light bulbs, underwear, food ... but BESIDES that, I avoid paying retail when I can :)


We've made some great finds.
Picnic table $15 (with 4 benches)
Riding Car $4
Nice spring jacket -$4
Jeans - $4
Reitmans dress shirt - $2




Wanna know my secret? Buy used! My hubby has even rescued a few good kids bikes and tonka toys from garbage and scrap piles!






Where to Shop?


  • Garage sales
  • Yard Sales
  • Moving Sales
  • Posters in malls, gas stations, etc
  • Local Thrift Shop (Value Village, MCC)
  • Flea Markets
  • Book Sales
  • Churches sometimes host some kind of used-stuff sale
  • Kijiji, Craig's List and other online 'buy and sell' sites
  • Pawn Shops
  • Advertise what you're in the market for
  • Garbage. Yes, really. I don't go through my neighbors bins or anything, but people have junk piles just sitting ... You'll be surprised what people are willing to call garbage. Of course, I tread that one carefully... 

Can't get out to Garage Sales at 8:00am with the other crazy ladies? Host your own! I scored so many deals just by having a garage sale at my place. I bought a quarter of my friend's stuff! We both had a great day!

Just a note - yes, scoping deals takes time. But, if you view shopping as a fun activity to do with your kids (instead of a task to hurry through- just a goal to complete), you'll be building relationships while you shop. ... did I just hear someone laugh? I'm serious! Even if you do end up buying retail. Bring snacks, stop at the park in between .. just relax and have fun. Life is about more than shopping, whether we pay retail or not. 

Okay - back on track.

And, of course, you can always SHARE! How many times do we tell our kids to share? But do WE? Get a big bang for your dollar by trading toys with a friend, buying big-ticket items together and taking turns, or even going halfers with your neighbor on a trampoline or play structure. It helps your wallet, your friends' wallet, and demonstrates in living color what you try to teach your kids with words everyday - sharing!

There are so many ways to save money and still have fun!
Happy Bargain Hunting!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE garage sales. That has got to be one of my 'spring highlights' every year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!