Thursday, June 24, 2010

Finding Motivation for Long Term Goals

Ever forget why you work so hard? I do. What am I saving money for anyway? Fifteen years is forever away ... who cares about $20 now? ... or $200? ... or $2000?


I've fallen off the wagon, assessed why, and determined how I'll climb back on. Good. But I need motivation here. Developing good habits is hard work ... what am I doing this for again? How can I remember it's worth it?

How do you motivate yourself to achieve long term goals? I break it down into a bunch of short term goals. That's great - it's just the 'atta-girl' I need to confirm I'm on the right track. But somewhere between short term goal #2 and #3, I notice my motivation wane...

Motivation makes a come-back though, when I make a new long term goal. It generally fits with the original plan, but I usually discover 'new and improved' ways to achieve it. BIGGER AND BETTER! Woo!  -I realize it's not for everyone - for many people, plotting a budget or financial goals is as pleasant a thought as having one's body hair plucked one by one. But I love it!  - uh, the plotting budget part, that is...  It's like a life-size puzzle - real life problem solving. Yay!!

So, now that I've firmly established that I am, at times, a nerd ... Here's what I mean by 'new goal':

Original plan (Sample) 

  • save $100 / month
  • give $100 / month
  • sell asset (profit $1000), invest profit all into one investment to yield estimated $50/mo indefinitely

New Plan: (Sample)

  • save $100 / month [PLUS extra $75/month from additional investment income - see below]
  • give $100 / month [PLUS extra $75/month from additional investment income - see below]
  • sell asset (profit $1000), invest profit into 5 different investments to yield estimated $30/mo indefinitely. Monthly yield = $150/mo

See? Same general plan, but with new information (about 5 different investments rather than the 1), I can do the same thing on a larger scale. Ooooh. I liiiiike.

And that definitely refreshes my motivation - to see that the plan can improve, and I can compete with  myself to find an even better idea than the last one. Love it.

Now I remember why I'm working so hard at saving money ...

  • to establish residual passive income (retirement plan or estate for children)
  • to give. On this side of the world, on this side of the fence, it is a great honor and responsibility to share what God has given us (Heb 13:16, 2 Cor 9:7-9)
Ahh. Motivation returns. Fun stuff :)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!