Thursday, June 24, 2010

Revisiting Goals - Oops

I just reviewed my financial goals and ideas on how to get there, and see I'm floundering .. not that I'm surprised. I knew I wasn't meeting those goals. The plan continues to fade as I slip back into comfortable habits. My motivation to save and give seems to disappear as I snack on store-bought granola bars and diet coke in a can. Convenience now has its cost ...

All that to say I'm going to get back on the wagon.

Here's where I think I fell off:

  1. got lazy with meal planning (made the plan, but then didn't stick to it at all - not even a little)
  2. confusion about grocery overspending on great deals - should I be stocking or hoarding saving?
  3. disorganization in the house translates to disorganization everywhere.  ... or was it the money disorganization that came first? Hmm.
  4. mixed money that should have been kept separate, and afterward I couldn't tell which money went where. I lost where I was.
here's how I hope to climb back on:
  1. Remember the goals and the reason for them. 
    • goals = to spend less, save more, and eventually be debt free and give half income away)
    • reason = to share with others what God has given us. (1 Timothy 6:18, Hebrews 13:16)
  2. Remember that forming good habits requires a great deal of self-discipline and determination. So, regarding the meal plan, JUST DO IT, KIM!  Yes, that ought to do it.
  3. My house is currently fairly organized... now. That should help me think a little clearer rather than hide.
  4. Get that cash in those envelopes, and then use ONLY CASH!!!! 
Okay. This is it. I'm going to do it.  I think I'll write those goals down and tape them to my wall somewhere. Hopefully it motivates me to continue when the drudgery sets in.   ... It does you know. Setting goals is fun (for me), and achieving those initial results are great, but then comes the 'just keep doing it' part and that seems to be where I fall off easiest.  I'll try again to 'just keep doing it'. 

Okay. Here we go ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!