Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Money Problem

Hi. How are you?  ... been a while :)

Ever have the problem of too much money?  ... yeah, me either. But I have had the 'problem' of enough money. In recent years we've reached a financially comfortable place - not debt free or anything, and not without issues (you've read my blog before, right?) ... but comfortable. We've enjoyed luxuries like name brand cereal - multiple boxes of cereal in the cupboards, insurance, dental work, camping, a good credit rating... I mean, it's been GREAT!


The 'problem' with having enough and being comfortable, is that it breeds pride and chokes out compassion.

A recent financial speed bump has served to remind me of the tension that is associated with lack of money. I forgot how often I used to check the gas gauge, how frequent my headaches were ...  Wow. Hadn't felt that in a while...

It's good I get to feel it again, however uncomfortable. When I'm under pressure, the real 'me' surfaces.

In this temporary financial squeeze, I can see my pride. I think, in forgetting what it was like to be broke, I have judged those who are. I'm sorry. I hate admitting that. I WAS broke. What makes me so much better than anyone else?! Nothing. Nothing at all.

There's alot of scripture this reminds me of..

“But that is the time to be careful! Beware that in your plenty 
you do not forget the Lord your God and disobey his commands, 
regulations, and decrees that I am giving you today. 
Deuteronomy 8:11

“After the Lord your God has done this for you, don’t say in your hearts, ‘The Lord has given us this land because we are such good people!’ No, it is because of the wickedness of the other nations that he is pushing them out of your way.  It is not because you are so good or have such integrity that you are about to occupy their land. The Lord your God will drive these nations out ahead of you only because of their wickedness, and to fulfill the oath he swore to your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. You must recognize that the Lord your God is not giving you this good land because you are good, for you are not—you are a stubborn people 
Deuteronomy 9:4-6

So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, 
and he will give you everything you need. 
Matthew 6:31-33

While I read these passages I came across Moses' reminder to the Isrealites that, if they ignore God, become proud, and worship idols, God will cut off the rain and they will die in that plentiful land He gave them.

Whoa.

What a powerful reminder of who's in charge! I can't control anything, despite what my culture tells me. I am not master of my own destiny - I can't even survive without God's permission! HE'S the one in charge of rain and sun...

That brings me some discomfort. Am I doing what He asks? Am I seeking the Kingdom of God above all else? Living righteously? I pray that I am, though it's hard to understand living righteously when I sin everyday..

Knowing God is in control of my very existence is also comforting. He loves me more than I'll ever know. He's kind and good and takes care of me. Even in times of financial pressure, He's here teaching me, guiding me, and working all things together for the good of those who love him. Aaaah.

Glory to God, whatever happens.

.

1 comment:

  1. Financial struggles are so difficult both physically and emotionally. I have experienced being broke and having much. We really learn to trust and lean on God when money is tight. It is comforting to know that He is in control and he always uses every trial to mold us!

    BTW, I notice the money and realize you live across the ocean. I love how blogs have connected me with people from around the world!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!