Monday, February 28, 2011

Someone Bring Me Some Bell-Bottoms!

Oh dear ... I may be morphing into some kind of hippie. Miss green-jeans.

Bring on the multi-grain, flax encrusted, organic ingredients, all natural groceries.

I don't buy into the whole 'save the earth 'cuz there's just not enough for everyone' thing. I'm not about 'save the earth', but I am about being real. So, not wanting to ingest (or feed my family) chemicals and fabricated engineered things that salespeople tell me is 'food', eating and shopping habits are changing around here.

I guess it's been building.

My dairy farming friend told me that cheese isn't even made from milk, but 'modified milk products'. What? She's right.

Then there's the whole 'margarine is made from plastic' thing. I don't entirely buy that, but we're on butter anyway. Cream, salt. That's the ingredient list. Okay. I know what those are.

Then my nieces and nephew came over. Those healthy-eating young'ens inspired me to make a bunch of changes:


  • We're off white bread. - Just Whole Wheat and Light Rye now. 
  • We have veggies at most meals. (I routinely forget vegetables are a food group, so that's a biggie) 
  • I offer healthier snack options - sometimes no snack. We've been a dough eating family. Cinnamon buns, cookies, cakes ... mmm! Snacks these days are  more fruits, veggies, crackers and cheese, or yogurt. ... or granola bars, but I'm the only one who eats those. 

And while shopping tonight, I was reading labels, trying to avoid glucose-fructose, mechanically separated meats or ingredients I don't recognize. I must have looked like a first-time shopper. ... I guess I kind of was!

I came home with a few new items - Organic salsa, Stoned Wheat Thins, whole grain Tortilla chips, tangerines and other fruits, veggies, Organic 'shreddies', frozen blueberries and brown bread. (... should I be barefoot, prancing in a field of flowers?)

These healthy items are more expensive than their processed NoName counterparts, but I was pleasantly surprised that my grocery bill was lower than I expected. 

My favorite part is that my family is eating it! This may actually work! 


Now all I need is to paint some groovy flowers on my car - and someone bring me some bell-bottoms!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!